It wasn’t too long ago where I found myself boarding a plane and heading all the way to the US! Keeping it short and sweet here are a few plus things that I’ve discovered along the way about living in the states!
- Strange vending machines don’t just exist in Japan. I have now come across ice cream vending machines, vending machines that sell pringles ANDDD frozen meals!
- I’ve learnt a crazy amount about currency/exchange rates. I never thought I’d get used to the US dollar (what with the pennies, nickels and dimes?!) And the coolest thing? There’s such thing as Disney currency. Yep! There are Disney dollars and they look like pretty cute colored dollar bills.
- Bottomless mugs are a big normality. Bottomless meaning that sodas at restaurants are often refillable for free!
- Tip and tax are different. Tip and tax/gratuity are not usually included in the bill or on price points. Tax is usually about 10% of the price however gratuity could be 10%-20%, 18% if you’re on Disney property.
- There’s no such thing as Maccas. It’s Mickey D’s!
- On the topic of wording, chips = fries, soft drink = sodas, rubbish = trash, postcode = zip code, mobile = cell and there’s plenty more to add to the list!
- Waffle fries are an awesome delicacy.
- Driving on the other side of the side/being a passenger is scary. And I’m not sure if it’s an all America-wide thing but I rarely see anyone signal. I also don’t feel like pedestrian crossings have humans as the first priority…
- Eggs your way are really indeed eggs your way! Overhard, overeasy, scrambled, boiled, sunny side up, soft boiled AND poached! So many options.
- The date order. I’ve been so used to writing date, month, year all my life but now it’s month, date, year!